Registration Certificate Applications

Registration Certificate Applications

What is an EEA Registration certificate?

An EEA Registration certificate is a document confirming that EEA nationals have the right to reside and work in the UK. The EEA nationals exercising treaty rights in the country can apply for an EEA registration certificate to confirm their rights of residence under the European Convention law.

Who can apply for Registration Certificate?

All EEA nationals are eligible to obtain registration certificate under the EEA regulations provided they fall under one of the following categories:

Exercising Treaty Rights as EEA Nationals

In applying for an EEA Registration Certificate, Regulation 6 of the EEA Regulations of 2006 states that an EEA national who is in the UK and exercising free movement rights is regarded as a qualified individual and these nationals are also regarded as qualified persons if they are exercising free movement rights in any of the following categories; Job seekers, Worker, Self-sufficient person, Self-employed person and student.

Exercising Treaty Rights as a Job Seeker

Regulation 6(4) of the European Economic Area (EEA) Regulations of 2006 clearly states that an EEA national who is actively seeking for employment or has a realistic chance of getting a job may also be seen as exercising free movement rights in UK. These particular individuals may also exercise treaty rights if they fit the following conditions stated below:

  • Unemployed for a period under six months;
  • Employed for a year prior to becoming unemployed or are registered as a job seeker;
Exercising Treaty Rights as a Worker

An EEA who is employed can also qualify to exercise free movement rights. Their respective job employment must be on full time or on part time basis and the job must be genuine and effective paid work and carried out under the supervision of someone else and they must be able to support themselves without resorting to claiming public funds. Based on Regulation 6 (2), this EEA national might still be regarded as a worker even if he or she is temporarily out of employment and if:

  • They are ill or they have been involved in an accident
  • They have started vocational training that is related or not related to their previous employment
  • It is due to involuntary or voluntary unemployment
Exercising Treaty Rights as a Self-Employed Person

Exercising Treaty rights as a self-employed person entails been able demonstrate using appropriate documentary evidences such as invoices to confirm the business or work embarked on, evidence of business accounts, bank statements or accountant’s letter or self-assessment forms which are submitted to HMRC to show that you are self employed in the UK.

Regulation 6 (3) of the EEA Regulations 2006 states that an EEA national who is temporarily out of work due to illness or an accident and is exercising free movement rights as a self-employed individual is also classified as self-employed.

These nationals also have the right to claim public funds like benefits and ‘top up’ benefits for low income earners without affecting their rights of free movement and residency.

An EEA national who is in the UK that provides enough evidence to show that they are exercising free movement rights as a self-employed person can apply for a registration certificate.

Exercising Treaty Rights as a Self-sufficient Person

The EEA national who is exercising free movement rights as a qualified person in the UK is classified as self-sufficient if he or she has the following:

  • Adequate and necessary funds to provide living expenses for him/herself without requiring to claim benefits in the UK;
  • They have comprehensive sickness insurance in the UK for themselves and any of their family members.

These nationals are expected to support themselves and may lose right of residency if they become a burden to the UK system or claim certain public funds. A retired individual may be qualified as self-sufficient if he or she can provide evidence of receiving a pension or has enough income from other sources such as investments.

An EEA national who is in the UK that provides enough evidence to show that they are exercising free movement rights as a self-sufficient capacity can apply for a registration certificate.

The EEA national involved in charity work can also be part of the self-sufficiency category, that is, if he or she has enough funds to support themselves or if the charity is meeting their living costs. For instance a volunteer is considered as a self-sufficient individual if their living costs is met by the organization or company they work for.

Exercising Treaty Rights as a Student

An EEA citizen in the United Kingdom who is a student may exercise treaty rights as a student;

  • If the student who is an EEA national has obtained admission into a private or public institution or educational establishment that is recognized or complies with the Immigration (EEA) Regulations of 2006. A register of sponsors under the points-based system that indicates which organizations are licensed under Tier 4 students can be downloaded using the correlated links.
  • The student should be able to provide evidence such as bank statements, evidence of an award of a grant or sponsorship or a written statement from the student themselves that illustrate that they have enough money to meet their living expenses.
  • If the student is registered on a course of study that has already started
  • If the student is able to show evidence of comprehensive insurance

These particular students may lose their rights of residency if they claim certain public funds or they become a burden to the UK system.

A student may also apply for a registration certificate as an EEA national who makes available evidence to show that they are exercising free movement rights in the UK.

How soon can you apply for Registration Certificate?

Under regulation 11, an EEA National has the right to enter the United Kingdom (UK) as long as they show a valid national identity card or passport issued by an EEA state. As soon you are admitted into the UK Economy, an EEA National should be able to live in the UK for about 3 months according to regulation 13 of the 2006 Immigration (EEA) Regulation.

An EEA National also has the extended right to stay in the UK provided they meet the requirements of being a “qualified individual”, this is based under regulations 14 of the EEA Regulation policy.

Benefits of Registration Certificate

The EEA nationals who have remained in the UK while exercising their treaty rights may make an application for permanent residence provided they have continuously met all the requirements of the registration certificate for five years.

It is important to note that even a small mistake / omission may result in refusal or rejection of the registration certificate application or dismissal of the appeal / judicial review claim, resulting in making it even more complex. It is therefore strongly advised to take professional representation and leave this matter in our capable hands.

How our Immigration Solicitors can help you in making an application for EEA Registration Certificate?

Our team of UK Immigration Lawyers can expeditiously deal with the applications for EEA Registration Certificate. Mr. Intisar Chauhan, Principal Solicitor at Chauhan Solicitors, is an expert Immigration Solicitor in London who has been dealing with UK Immigration Laws since 2003. Immigration Lawyers at Chauhan Solicitors shall provide you with best possible Immigration advice / consultation and accordingly shall prepare your application for EEA registration certificate under direct supervision of Mr Chauhan. After consultation, if you want us to start preparing your case, you can expect the followings from our Immigration lawyers;

  • We are registered with Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) for data protection that means our client’s information is confidential and safe with Chauhan Solicitors.
  • Our Immigration offices are centrally and conveniently located in Wandsworth, south west London (SW17) near Tooting Bec Tube and Tooting Broadway stations on Northern Line, offering our clients easy access to our offices. Our Immigration lawyers are within just 20 minutes away from central London by tube.
  • Our existing and former clients believe that we provided them value for money and that they can trust us with their immigration applications to the Home Office, Appeals to the Immigration Tribunals, Judicial Review applications etc. You may find our client’s review in the Testimonial section on our website or on Google.
  • Our Immigration Lawyers shall discuss your EEA Registration Certificate application and advise you on the required documents and procedure.
  • Our Immigration Lawyers have teamed up with the best Immigration Barristers in and out of London who are well equipped to advise on any complicated the Immigration Appeal matters.
  • It will be our aim to keep you posted at all material times during pendency of your matter, for this matter our clients can log on our website and keep a close eye to the progress of their immigration matter at any time.
  • Our fees are competitive and we charge you in your immigration matters on agreed fee basis.
  • We shall never surprise you with hidden charges/fees.

At Chauhan Solicitors, we offer our expertise of advising and representing our clients in making their applications for Registration Certificate.  We are just a phone call or an email away and are available at 0203 514 2536 or and once in contact, be assured that you are in safe hands