This is the successor category of old work permit system and allows the applicants to obtain leave to remain or entry clearance under the point bases system, on the basis of sponsorship of their prospective employers. The employers must first obtain sponsorship license from the UKBA in order to sponsor overseas workers under this category.
The licensed employers can apply for sponsorship certificates to employ overseas workers who are either already residing in the UK legally [and able to switch to Tier 2] or are based overseas. The Secretary of State has published a quota for those coming from overseas for the financial year ending 05th of April 2019, which is 20,700. Theose applicants who are already in the UK and are able to switch does not fall under the quota (with the exception of dependents of Tier 4 migrants).
Who can apply for a Tier 2 General Visa ?
Following persons may apply for leave to remain under Tier 2 Genera:
- Any Tier 1 – Main applicant
- Any Tier 2 – Main applicant (with the exception of Tier 2 ICT who had their
leave granted under the rules in the place after 06 April 2011).
- Any Tier 4 General migrant – provided he / she has completed at least Bachelors degree from a UK University.
- Dependent partner of a Tier 4 student (provided the applicant is assigned a restricted COS)
- Representative of an Overseas Business
Requirements for the Applicant in Tier 2 General Visa Applications
It is important to note that you will be required to have a certificate of sponsorship to be able to apply for a leave to enter remain via any of the aforementioned categories. It is a PBS immigration route and would require successful applicants to score 70 points in order to qualify. Applicants will also need to meet the English language requirements as well as the maintenance requirements.
Applicant’s Prospective Salary
The Applicant need to be paid at least £30,000 per year or the appropriate rate fee for
the job offered, whichever is higher.
English Language Requirements
- The applicant scores 10 points for being a national of one of the English speaking Countries
- or having completed UK Bachelors level qualification in one of the English Speaking countries
- or having passed an approved English language test at CFER level B1
Maintenance Requirements in Tier 2 General Visa Applications
The Applicant must demonstrate that he/ she has access to at least £945 in their bank account for 90 days prior to the date of their application for Tier 2 General Visa. This requirement may also be met if the sponsor certifies the applicant for maintenance purposes while issuing CoS, Certificate of Sponsorship.
Sponsorship of Certificate
Once the sponsor [i.e. UK based licensed Employer] is allocated a sponsorship certificate to employ an overseas national, based abroad or in the UK, they need to issue to the applicant providing all the relevant details, after conducting the Resident Labour Market Test [if applicable] and the applicant is then required to make his entry clearance application or leave to remain, if already in the UK and is able to switch.
Cooling Off Period in Tier 2 General Visa Applications
The migrants, who had entry clearance or leave to remain as a Tier 2 G, are required to wait for at least 12 months, before they can apply for another term of employment upon completing their maximum allowable residence or leaving the UK earlier. This cooling off period is not applicable in certain cases.
Visa Duration for Tier 2 General Visa Applications
The maximum stay with a Tier 2 (General) visa in the UK is up to 5 years and 14 days, or the time given on the issued certificate of sponsorship plus 1 month, whichever is shorter.
Please note the Applicant can apply to extend the visa for up to another 5 years, as long as the total stay is not more than 6 years.
Dependants of Tier 2 General Visa
Tier 2 migrants are allowed to invite their spouses / partners and children under 18 years of age to join them as their dependants and they may also qualify for ILR upon completion of the required period of time. The dependants will be able to work in the UK.
Each dependant must have access to at least £630 available to them at the time of their application. Each dependant must have access to £630 funds, this is in addition to the £945 the applicant must have to support her/him self.
Refusal of Entry Clearance
If the entry clearance application is refused by the ECO (visa officer) in the overseas British Diplomatic post, the applicant will be given a right of review of the decision that must be exercised within 28 days of the date of service of decision. There will not be any general right of appeal against any such decision made by the visa officer. If the administrative review also fails, the matter then can be taken to the Upper Tribunal by lodging judicial review proceedings.
Refusal of Leave to Remain
If the further leave to remain application is refused by the UKBA, the applicant is granted right of review of the decision that must be within 14 days of the date of service of decision. There will not be any general right of appeal against any such decision made by the Home office. If the administrative review also fails, the matter then can be taken to the Upper Tribunal by lodging judicial review proceedings
How our Immigration Solicitors can help you in applying for Tier 2 General Visa?
Our team of UK Immigration Lawyers can expeditiously deal with Tier 2 General Visa applications.
Mr Intisar Chauhan, Principal Solicitor at Chauhan Solicitors, is an expert Immigration Solicitor in London who has been dealing with UK Immigration Laws since 2003. Immigration Lawyers at Chauhan Solicitors shall provide you with best possible Immigration advice / consultation and accordingly shall prepare your Tier 2 visa application under direct supervision of Mr Chauhan. After consultation, if you want us to start preparing your case, you can expect the followings from our Immigration lawyers;
- We are registered with Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) for data protection that means our client’s information is confidential and safe with Chauhan Solicitors.
- Our Immigration offices are centrally and conveniently located in Wandsworth, south west London (SW17) near Tooting Bec Tube and Tooting Broadway stations on Northern Line, offering our clients easy access to our offices. Our Immigration lawyers are within just 20 minutes away from central London by tube.
- Our existing and former clients believe that we provided them value for money and that they can trust us with their immigration applications to the Home Office, Appeals to the Immigration Tribunals, Judicial Review applications etc. You may find our client’s review in the Testimonial section on our website or on Google.
- Our Immigration Lawyers shall discuss your Application for Tier 2 General Visa and advise you on the required documents and procedure.
- Our Immigration Lawyers have teamed up with the best Immigration Barristers in and out of London who are well equipped to advise on any complicated Bail application matters including lodging Judicial review or obtaining injunction orders from the High Court.
- It will be our aim to keep you posted at all material times during pendency of your matter, for this matter our clients can log on our website and keep a close eye to the progress of their immigration matter at any time.
- Our fees are competitive and we charge you in your immigration matters on agreed fee basis.
- We shall never surprise you with hidden charges/fees.
You can contact us at 0203 514 2536 or firstname.lastname@example.org and one of our team members will be in touch with you shortly. Or in emergency we can be contacted at 07817897184