Once the applicant has settled status i.e. Indefinite leave to remain under the immigration rules or permanent residence under the EEA regulations, he may make his application to be naturalized as a British citizen.
The applicant must have lived in the UK for the last 5 years and have had Indefinite leave to remain under the Immigration rules or permanent residence under the EEA regulations for at least 12 months prior to making this application.
If the applicant is married to a British citizen then the time period is reduced to 3 years from 5 years.
The applicant must fulfil the following requirements:
- He must be at least 18 years of age
- He must be of sound mind
- He must meet the residence requirements
- He must meet the Good Character Requirement
- He must have passed life in the UK certificate and have qualification in English language of B1 level, at least or an acceptable degree from a recognized Educational establishment meeting the English language criteria or must be a national of an English speaking country
If the applicant is not married to a British citizen, he must not have absences of more than 450 days in the last 5 years including not more than 90 days in the last 12 months, from the date of application.
If the applicant is married to a British citizen, he must not have absences of more than 270 days in the last 3 years including not more than 90 days in the last 12 months, from the date of application.
The Secretary of State however enjoys wide discretion in allowing prolonged absences of the applicant in certain circumstances.
The applicant must be able to demonstrate that he is a person of good character and have shown respect for the rights and freedoms of the UK and have observed it’s laws and fulfilled your duties and obligations as a resident of the UK. The Home office shall carry out criminal record checks on all applicants of British citizenship.
If the applicant has a conviction in the UK or overseas then depending on the length of sentence, he may have to wait for a certain period of time or may not be eligible for citizenship at all, if he was given a sentence of 4 years of imprisonment or more.
If the applicant has used deceptive measures in his dealings with the Home office, he may be placed on a 10 year ban from the date he used deception. A 10 year ban is also applicable if the applicant has made illegal entry in the UK or evaded immigration control or abused life in the UK test process.
The Home office also routinely checks records with HMRC to see whether the applicant has worked in the UK in breach of the immigration conditions attached to his visa, in the last 10 years.
You can prove English language requirements by having either:
- an English qualification at B1 level
- a degree taught or researched in English
- national of an English-speaking country
The requirement of English Language knowledge is exempt in cases when applicants are aged 65 or over or is unable to due to disabilities or is a citizen of countries that are exempt from.
If the applicant has not passed Life in the UK test in his ILR application he would need one for British citizenship application. The applicants over 65 years of age are exempt from this requirement.
The applicant may make an application to the Home office to reconsider the decision of refusing British citizenship application, provided there are good grounds to make this application.
If the British citizenship application is refused by the Home office, the applicant may lodge judicial review proceedings in the high court provided there are good grounds to challenge the decision. Please read more about Judicial review procedure in our Judicial review section.
Our Immigration Solicitors can expeditiously deal with your immigration matters by advising on the merits of visa applications, required documentation and relevant procedures.
Mr. Intisar Chauhan, Principal Solicitor at Chauhan Solicitors, is an expert Immigration Solicitor in London who has been dealing with UK Immigration Laws since 2003. Our Immigration Solicitors shall provide you with best possible Immigration advice / consultation and accordingly shall prepare your immigration matter under direct supervision of Mr Chauhan. After consultation, if you want us to start preparing your case, you can expect the followings from our Immigration lawyers:
- Our immigration solicitors will discuss the details about your immigration matter, assessing the merits and advise you on the law, procedure and other requirements for the whole process.
- Our immigration solicitors shall keep you updated on the progress of your immigration matters and advise on any procedures involved and give time estimates and merits throughout the pendency of your immigration matters.
- Our immigration solicitors shall also advise on alternative immigration options where you may be eligible to switch into which may be more beneficial.
- Our immigration solicitors are based in central London (EC2Y 9ST) and are therefore based in convenient access of clients from all over London and even from outside London.
- Our immigration solicitors are specialist immigration solicitors who are able to handle all types of immigration work including entry clearance applications, further leave to remain applications, Indefinite Leave to remain applications, Immigration Appeals, Judicial Reviews, EEA applications, Settled and Pre-settled applications, Immigration bail applications and other complex immigration matters.
- Our immigration solicitors are one of the best immigration solicitors in London as several of our clients have stated in their reviews of our services.
- Our immigration solicitors have teamed up with the best immigration barristers in and outside London who are immigration specialists and well equipped to represent our clients in any complex immigration matters.
- Our immigration solicitors charge on an agreed basis (except Judicial Review matters) which is competitive and never surprise you for any other hidden fees or costs involved.
Our Immigration Solicitors are just a phone call or an email away and are available at 0203 514 2536 or email@example.com and once in contact, be assured that you will be in safe hands.