What is a General Visitor Visa for the UK?
A General Visitor Visa, also known as the standard visitor visa granted to those individuals who plan to travel to the UK for a period of fewer than 6 months. There are many categories of General Visitor visa like UK travel visa, London visit visa, London visa and London tourist visa. You may be able to stay for longer periods through frequent visits depending on the length of the visa you have been granted. However, in one trip, the General Visitor Visa only allows you to stay in the UK for a period of 6 months. You required by this London Visa to leave the UK before this period expires.
Important points that do’s and don’ts for the applicants to visit the UK
The applicants who wish to visit the UK for holidays, tourism or to visit family and friends must apply under the General Visitor Visa UK category. Generally, the do’s and don’ts for the applicants are that they must:
- be genuinely seeking entry as a general visitor for a period not exceeding six months,
- maintain and accommodate themselves without recourse to public funds,
- meet the cost of the return or onward journey, and
- leave the UK at the end of the period of their visit, not take employment in the UK. Produce not goods or provide services within the UK
- not intend to undertake a course of study, not be a child under the age of 18
- not intend to marry or give notice of the same, not intend to receive private medical treatment
Most visas are refused under this category for the reasons that the ECO is satisfied that the applicant’s intention to return to the country of origin is not clear.
In the following extraordinary circumstances, the applicant can extend their stay beyond six months. However, a proper leave to remain application must be made to the Home Office before the expiry of the current visa:
- compassionate grounds,
- the visitor is in a category that allows a total stay of up to 12 months
- the applicant is unable to fly or obtain a flight, etc.
No Right of Appeal
There is no right of appeal against the refusal of a UK Visitor Visa or London visit visa. However, there is nothing to be worried about as the refusal can still be challenged by way of a Judicial Review in the Upper Tribunal of the Asylum and Immigration Chamber.
Judicial Review against the refusal of General visitor visa UK application
An application for permission to apply for Judicial Review must be lodged in in the Upper Tribunal of the Asylum and Immigration Chamber within 90 days of the date of the refusal of the application. A pre-action protocol served on the Entry Clearance Officer or the Home Office before initiating a Judicial Review application.
How our Immigration Lawyers can help you with the General Visitor Visa Application process?
Our team of UK Immigration Lawyers can expeditiously deal with all types of Entry clearance Matters. Mr Intisar Chauhan, Principal Solicitor at Chauhan Solicitors, is an expert Immigration Solicitor in London who has been dealing with UK Immigration Laws since 2003. Immigration Lawyers at Chauhan Solicitors shall provide you with the best possible Immigration advice/consultation and accordingly shall prepare your application for General visitor visa, under the direct supervision of Mr Chauhan.
After the consultation, if you want us to start preparing your case, you can expect the followings from our Immigration lawyers;
- We are registered with the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) for data protection. That means our client’s information is confidential and safe with Chauhan Solicitors.
- Our Immigration offices are centrally and conveniently located in Wandsworth, in south-west London (SW17) near Tooting Bec Tube and Tooting Broadway stations on Northern Line, offering our clients easy access to our offices. Team of our Immigration lawyers are within just 20 minutes away from central London by tube.
- Our existing and former clients believe that we provided them value for money and that they can trust us with their immigration applications to the Home Office, Appeals to the Immigration Tribunals, Judicial Review applications etc. You may find our client’s review in the Testimonial section on our website and on Google.
- Our Immigration Lawyers shall discuss your Visitor Visa matter in length and advise you on the required documents and procedure.
- Our Immigration Lawyers have teamed up with the best Immigration Barristers in and out of London who well equipped to advise on any complicated Immigration matter.
- It will be our aim to keep you posted at all material times during the pendency of your matter, for this matter our clients can log on our website and keep a close eye to the progress of their immigration matter at any time.
- Our fees are competitive and we charge you in your immigration matters on an agreed fee basis.
- We shall never surprise you with hidden charges/fees.
We also provide UK Visa Premium service. This service is particularly useful if there is an urgent need to travel with your passport and you can’t wait for normal processing.
Should You Have to Apply for a Judicial Review for Your UK Travel Visa?
It’s pretty straight forward that you only need to apply for a judicial review when your UK travel visa has been rejected. However, applying for a UK travel visa is more of a skill that you get better at once you start doing it., But of course, applying for a visa is not something you would have to do very often. However, here at Chauhan Solicitors, we have been applying for visas and analyzing the trends over the years.
This gives us the edge of knowing when and how a London tourist visa or UK travel visa would absolutely not get rejected. Therefore, when you are planning to take a vacation and go to London. We encourage you to talk to one of our immigration consultants for the London visit visa. What we can do is that we can arrange for your General visitor visa to be successful in the first go.
How Does Chauhan Solicitors Apply for the General Visitor Visa?
As said earlier, we ensure that your UK travel visa is not rejected. What we do differently is that we ensure that everything is absolutely how it should be and your application for the London Tourist visa or London visa complies with the requirements.
Is the General Visitor Visa Meant for You?
We also weigh your situation to see whether the general visitor visa is even meant for you or not. If we find another UK travel visa or London visit visa that fits more accurately with your situation then we advise you with that as well.
As a general trend, you will be applying for the London tourist visa also known as the standard visitor visa. If your purpose of travel falls in one of the following categories.
- Your purpose of travel is to have a vacation, you may plan to see family or friends during your stay.
- Your purpose of travel is to attend to business. However, the activities permitted under this niche limited. This explained later.
- You plan to get private medical treatment in the UK.
You may also keep in mind that the General visitor visa or London visit visa for the UK is only meant for you if you do not reside in Switzerland or in a country listed in the EEA.
Moreover, this London tourist visa, as well as London visa, has also replaced a large number of visa types that were previously offered by the home office. This makes your life as an applicant much easier. Now you do not need to go through tons of literature only to figure out which London visa is meant for you.
Types of London visa that have been replaced by the general visitor visa:
If you have previously gone about the visas that one can choose to apply from, you may be aware of the visa types mentioned below.
- Family Visitor visa
- General Visitor visa
- Child Visitor visa
- Fiance visa UK
- Business Visitor visa, including visas for academics, doctors and dentists
- Sports Visitor visa
- Entertainer Visitor visa
- Prospective Entrepreneur visa
- Private Medical Treatment Visitor visa
- UK spouse visa
- Approved Destination Status visa
If your purpose of travel also falls under specialized London visa types mentioned above. You will now be applying for the general visitor visa now.
Business Activity on the General Visitor Visa
The general visitor allows you to take part in business activities in the UK. However, specific types of London visa meant for business activities. What you can do under business in the UK on this visa quite limited. Following business activities permitted in the UK on the general visitor visa.
- You wish to take part in a conference, meeting or training in the UK which lasts less than 6 months.
- You wish to take part in sports (or any other kind of) event in the UK that is less than 6 months long.
- As an entertainer, musician or talented professional you wish to travel to the UK to perform.
- If you are an academic expert and wish to travel to the UK to perform research.
- As an academic expert, you are accompanying students who are travelling to the UK on an exchange program.
- If you are a medical professional, you wish to take up a clinical attachment post in the UK. As a medical professional, you may be a doctor or a dentist. However, the position should not require you to stay in the UK for more than 6 months.
- You need to arrange the funding for a new business or to run an existing business in the UK.
What is the London Tourist Visa Processing Time?
The London tourist visa takes about 3 weeks in processing. After you have applied for the London visit visa. You will hear in roughly 3 weeks from the home office regarding their decision on your application. However, you advised applying for the UK travel visa 3 months before your intended date of travelling to the UK.
How Long Can You Stay on the London Tourist Visa?
The London visit visa allows you, to stay in the UK for a period of 6 months at maximum in one go. However, you may be able to apply for an extension in the situation that you fall in one of the following categories.
- You applied for a London visit visa to receive private medical treatment. You can get an extension for up to 11 months in the UK. The cost of an extension is £190.
- You applied for a London visit visa because you are an academic and are on a sabbatical. You can get an extension for your research to stay in the UK for up to 12 months. The cost of applying for an extension, in this case, is also £190.
Applying for a General Visitor Visa for Multiple Entries
If you plan to travel to the UK very often. Then you may not have to apply for a London visa or UK travel visa every time. You can simply get the London tourist visa for a longer duration that allows multiple entries. You can choose for the London visit visa with multiple entries from 3 durations. The London visit visa granted for 3 years, 5 years and 10 years.
How Much Does a General Visitor Visa Cost?
A standard visa with a duration of 6 months costs £95. The multiple-entry London visa, however, costs different. The 3 years long London visa costs £361 whereas the 5 years long visa costs £655. The 10 years long UK travel visa costs £822.
We are just a phone call or an email away and are available at 0203 514 2536 or firstname.lastname@example.org and once in contact, be assured that you will be in safe hands.