Extended Family Members
Who are considered as family members ?
Immediate Family Members
Following persons are considered as immediate family members of the EEA national:
- Spouse / Civil Partner
- Children under 21 years of age [including step / adopted children]
- Dependant in the ascending line i.e. parents / grandparents of the EEA national or of his / her spouse / civil partner [They need to be financially dependent on the EEA national]/
Extended Family Members
- Children above 21 years of age
- Unmarried partners
The difference in both of these categories is that the immediate family members have right to reside in the UK on the basis of their EEA national`s exercising his / her treaty rights in the UK while the extended family member have to meet a more strict criteria of prior residence with the EEA national out of the UK, financial dependency and other requirements.
Prior legal residence in the UK is not a requirement of this application and as such any one residing in the UK who is an eligible extended family member of a qualified EEA national, is able to make an application under the EEA regulations.
How can the Extended Family Members obtain a Residence Card ?
Here we would like to quote a very useful decision of the Upper Tribunal (Immigration and Asylum Chamber) i.e. Dauhoo (EEA Regulations – reg 8(2))  UKUT 79 (IAC)
Under the scheme set out in reg 8 (2) of the Immigration (European Economic Area) Regulations 2006, a person can succeed in establishing that he or she is an “extended family member” in any one of four different ways, each of which requires proving a relevant connection both prior to arrival in the UK and in the UK:
- prior dependency and present dependency
- prior membership of a household and present membership of a household
- prior dependency and present membership of a household;
- prior membership of a household and present dependency.
It is not necessary, therefore, to show prior and present connection in the same capacity: i.e. dependency- dependency or household membership-household membership ((i) or (ii) above). A person may also qualify if able to show (iii) or (iv).
Though the Ld. Immigration Judge clearly explained how an extended family member can succeed in obtaining family permit or residence card, but it certainly does not make it an easy task.
It is important to note that even a small mistake / omission may result in refusal or rejection of the application made under EEA regulations or dismissal of the appeal / judicial review claim, resulting in making it even more complex. It is therefore strongly advised to take professional representation and leave this matter in our capable hands.
How our Immigration Solicitors can help you in making an application as Extended Family Member?
Our team of UK Immigration Lawyers can expeditiously deal with the applications for Extended Family Member. Mr Intisar Chauhan, Principal Solicitor at Chauhan Solicitors, is an expert Immigration Solicitor in London who has been dealing with UK Immigration Laws since 2003. Immigration Lawyers at Chauhan Solicitors shall provide you with best possible Immigration advice / consultation and accordingly shall prepare your application as Extended Family Member under direct supervision of Mr Chauhan. After consultation, if you want us to start preparing your case, you can expect the followings from our Immigration lawyers;
- We are registered with Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) for data protection that means our client’s information is confidential and safe with Chauhan Solicitors.
- Our Immigration offices are centrally and conveniently located in Wandsworth, south west London (SW17) near Tooting Bec Tube and Tooting Broadway stations on Northern Line, offering our clients easy access to our offices. Our Immigration lawyers are within just 20 minutes away from central London by tube.
- Our existing and former clients believe that we provided them value for money and that they can trust us with their immigration applications to the Home Office,
- Appeals to the Immigration Tribunals, Judicial Review applications etc. You may find our client’s review in the Testimonial section on our website or on Google.
- Our Immigration Lawyers shall discuss your application as Extended Family Member and advise you on the required documents and procedure of your case.
- Our Immigration Lawyers have teamed up with the best Immigration Barristers in and out of London who are well equipped to advise on any complicated the Immigration Appeal matters.
- It will be our aim to keep you posted at all material times during pendency of your matter, for this matter our clients can log on our website and keep a close eye to the progress of their immigration matter at any time.
- Our fees are competitive, and we charge you in your immigration matters on agreed fee basis.
- We shall never surprise you with hidden charges/fees.
At Chauhan Solicitors, we offer our expertise of advising and representing our clients in making their applications as Extended Family Member. We are just a phone call or an email away and are available at 0203 514 2536 or email@example.com and once in contact, be assured that you are in safe hands.