British Citizenship – for Children
There are a number of ways where children may be registered as British citizens provided they meet the relevant criteria in each case.
- Children Born in the UK to parents who were later given ILR
- Children Born in the UK to parents who have joined armed forces
- Children whose parents are applying for British Citizenship
- Children born abroad to parents who are British citizens by descent and have lived in the UK or a British overseas territory.
- Children born abroad to parents who are British by descent but are now living in the UK or a British overseas territories
- Children adopted abroad by British citizen parents
- Children whose parents had renounced and subsequently resumed British citizenship
- Any other case where the secretary of state considers that it is in the best interests of the child to be given British citizenship.
- Children born abroad to parents serving in the armed forces
- Children born outside the UK who are and always have been stateless (having no citizenship)
- Children born in the UK who are and have always been stateless (having no citizenship)
- Children born in the UK and complete 10 years of residence
Children of EEA Nationals
There are different rules regarding the children of EEA nationals born in the UK, and in following cases, children will be considered to have British citizenship automatically:
- If the child was born in the UK to an EEA national before 02nd of Oct. 2010 and the EEA national parent was exercising his treaty rights at the time of the birth, the child will have British citizenship automatically.
- If the child was born between 02 Oct. 2010 and 30 April 2006 provided the EEA national had permanent residence in the UK at the time of birth.
- If the child was born after 30 April 2006 provided the EEA national had exercised his treaty rights in the UK for more than 5 years.
Requirements of Registration for British Citizenship
The applicant (Child) must fulfil the following requirements:
- He must be at under 18 years of age at the time of application
- He must meet the residence requirements (if applicable)
- He must meet the Good Character Requirement (If over 10 years of age)
Residence Requirements of British Citizenship Application
In most cases, the children are not required to meet residence requirements in order to be registered as a British citizen. Please do contact us for details about this requirement.
Good Character Requirement of British Citizenship Application
The applicant must be able to demonstrate that he is a person of good character and have shown respect for the rights and freedoms of the UK and have observed it’s laws and fulfilled his duties and obligations as a resident of the UK. The Home office shall carry out criminal record checks on all applicants of British citizenship, provided the child is above 10 years year of age.
Reconsideration of refusal of British Citizenship
The applicant may make an application to the Home office to reconsider the decision of refusing British citizenship application, provided there are good grounds to make this application.
Judicial Review Against Refusal of British Citizenship Application
If the British citizenship application is refused by the Home office, the applicant may lodge judicial review proceedings in the high court provided there are good grounds to challenge the decision. Please read more about Judicial review procedure in our Judicial review section.
How our Immigration Solicitors can help you in making British Citizenship Application for a child?
Our team of UK Immigration Lawyers can expeditiously deal with making British Citizenship Application for a child.
Mr Intisar Chauhan, Principal Solicitor at Chauhan Solicitors, is an expert Immigration Solicitor in London who has been dealing with UK Immigration Laws since 2003. Immigration Lawyers at Chauhan Solicitors shall provide you with best possible Immigration advice / consultation and accordingly shall prepare your making British Citizenship Application for a child under direct supervision of Mr Chauhan. After consultation, if you want us to start preparing your case, you can expect the followings from our Immigration lawyers;
- We are registered with Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) for data protection that means our client’s information is confidential and safe with Chauhan Solicitors.
- Our Immigration offices are centrally and conveniently located in Wandsworth, south west London (SW17) near Tooting Bec Tube and Tooting Broadway stations on Northern Line, offering our clients easy access to our offices. Our Immigration lawyers are within just 20 minutes away from central London by tube.
- Our existing and former clients believe that we provided them value for money and that they can trust us with their immigration applications to the Home Office, Appeals to the Immigration Tribunals, Judicial Review applications etc. You may find our client’s review in the Testimonial section on our website or on Google.
- Our Immigration Lawyers shall discuss your British Citizenship Application for a child and advise you on the required documents and procedure.
- Our Immigration Lawyers have teamed up with the best Immigration Barristers in and out of London who are well equipped to advise on any complicated immigration matters including lodging Judicial review or obtaining injunction orders from the High Court.
- It will be our aim to keep you posted at all material times during pendency of your matter, for this matter our clients can log on our website and keep a close eye to the progress of their immigration matter at any time.
- Our fees are competitive and we charge you in your immigration matters on agreed fee basis.
- We shall never surprise you with hidden charges/fees.
You can contact us at 0203 514 2536 or firstname.lastname@example.org and one of our team members will be in touch with you shortly. Or in emergency we can be contacted at 07817897184.