There are a number of ways where children may be registered as British citizens provided they meet the relevant criteria in each case:
- Children Born in the UK to parents who were later given ILR
- Children Born in the UK to parents who have joined armed forces
- Children whose parents are applying for British Citizenship
- Children born abroad to parents who are British citizens by descent and have lived in the UK or a British overseas territory
- Children born abroad to parents who are British by descent but are now living in the UK or a British overseas territories
- Children adopted abroad by British citizen parents
- Children whose parents had renounced and subsequently resumed British citizenship
- Any other case where the secretary of state considers that it is in the best interests of the child to be given British citizenship
- Children born abroad to parents serving in the armed forces
- Children born outside the UK who are and always have been stateless (having no citizenship)
- Children born in the UK who are and have always been stateless (having no citizenship)
- Children born in the UK and complete 10 years of residence
There are different rules regarding the children of EEA nationals born in the UK, and in following cases, children will be considered to have British citizenship automatically:
- If the child was born in the UK to an EEA national before 02nd of Oct. 2010 and the EEA national parent was exercising his treaty rights at the time of the birth, the child will have British citizenship automatically
- If the child was born between 02 Oct. 2010 and 30 April 2006 provided the EEA national had permanent residence in the UK at the time of birth
- If the child was born after 30 April 2006 provided the EEA national had exercised his treaty rights in the UK for more than 5 years
The applicant (Child) must fulfil the following requirements:
- He must be at under 18 years of age at the time of application
- He must meet the residence requirements (if applicable)
- He must meet the Good Character Requirement (If over 10 years of age)
In most cases, the children are not required to meet residence requirements in order to be registered as a British citizen. Please do contact us for details about this requirement.
The applicant must be able to demonstrate that he is a person of good character and have shown respect for the rights and freedoms of the UK and have observed it’s laws and fulfilled his duties and obligations as a resident of the UK. The Home office shall carry out criminal record checks on all applicants of British citizenship, provided the child is above 10 years year of age.
The applicant may make an application to the Home office to reconsider the decision of refusing British citizenship application, provided there are good grounds to make this application.
If the British citizenship application is refused by the Home office, the applicant may lodge judicial review proceedings in the high court provided there are good grounds to challenge the decision. Please read more about Judicial review procedure in our Judicial review section.
Our Immigration Solicitors can expeditiously deal with your immigration matters by advising on the merits of visa applications, required documentation and relevant procedures.
Mr. Intisar Chauhan, Principal Solicitor at Chauhan Solicitors, is an expert Immigration Solicitor in London who has been dealing with UK Immigration Laws since 2003. Our Immigration Solicitors shall provide you with best possible Immigration advice / consultation and accordingly shall prepare your immigration matter under direct supervision of Mr Chauhan. After consultation, if you want us to start preparing your case, you can expect the followings from our Immigration lawyers:
- Our immigration solicitors will discuss the details about your immigration matter, assessing the merits and advise you on the law, procedure and other requirements for the whole process.
- Our immigration solicitors shall keep you updated on the progress of your immigration matters and advise on any procedures involved and give time estimates and merits throughout the pendency of your immigration matters.
- Our immigration solicitors shall also advise on alternative immigration options where you may be eligible to switch into which may be more beneficial.
- Our immigration solicitors are based in central London (EC2Y 9ST) and are therefore based in convenient access of clients from all over London and even from outside London.
- Our immigration solicitors are specialist immigration solicitors who are able to handle all types of immigration work including entry clearance applications, further leave to remain applications, Indefinite Leave to remain applications, Immigration Appeals, Judicial Reviews, EEA applications, Settled and Pre-settled applications, Immigration bail applications and other complex immigration matters.
- Our immigration solicitors are one of the best immigration solicitors in London as several of our clients have stated in their reviews of our services.
- Our immigration solicitors have teamed up with the best immigration barristers in and outside London who are immigration specialists and well equipped to represent our clients in any complex immigration matters.
- Our immigration solicitors charge on an agreed basis (except Judicial Review matters) which is competitive and never surprise you for any other hidden fees or costs involved.
Our Immigration Solicitors are just a phone call or an email away and are available at 0203 514 2536 or firstname.lastname@example.org and once in contact, be assured that you will be in safe hands.